CALL FOR DESIGNS
WEARABLE ART RUNWAY SHOW
“CIRQUE DE LA MODE”
OCT 13, 2018, 6:30 – 9 PM. Doors at 6pm
at the NACC, 1201 Pine Ave, Niagara Falls, NY 14301
Seeking designs for the second annual WEARABLE ART RUNWAY SHOW “CIRQUE DE LA MODE”, which will take the stage on Oct 13th, 2018 at the Niagara Arts and Cultural Center.
Models, make-up and hair professionals are encouraged to participate – please contact email@example.com for details.
- Life is a Circus!
Inspired by our modern world: this fast paced, 3 ring juggling act lets everyone know that “when all else fails…” join the circus! An open category for your circus inspired designs!
- Ring Master
Someone is always pulling the strings, making you jump through hoops, or directing the spotlight: design your own ring master, any era, any style.
- The Show Must Go On!
Wow the Crowd. Improvise in this upcycled, repurposed, reused opportunity to work your magic and transform from the Drab to Fab!
- All the World Loves a Fool:
Fools, clowns, and harlequins: uncover your inner trickster and discover the freedom to break the rules, embrace the paradox, to entertain or to confuse.
- Freak Show: Step Right Up!
You won’t believe your eyes. Shock, and Amaze. Beauty takes many forms in the night circus. Show your true colors.
- Give Them a Thrill!
Vaudeville / Burlesque: uninhibited atmosphere, drama, danger, suspense, anticipation! Hold your breath to see what happens next.
- Show Stopper, Spectacular!
Leave them with a BANG!! All eyes are on you and your creation.
Show them something magnificent, opulent, tremendous, stupendous.
that no one will ever forget.
Winners selected by a panel of judges for each category – awards are funded in part by entry fees per category. 1 Winner per Category.
The following provisions set out entry requirements for the ART OF FASHION:
- Designers must enter under their own names and not as a collective, school, or a business.
- Design teams can consist of no more than three designers (and any reference to ‘designer’ in these terms and conditions will include all members of a design team).
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or over As of October 13th, 2018 or have parent/guardian consent.
- Designers can submit multiple entries.
- An entry can be submitted into one competition section only. For example, the same garment entry cannot be entered into both the Ringmaster and Show Stopper.
- Designers will supply all models for judging and on stage performances. The NACC will host at least one open Call for Models to assist designers with locating models.
- No trademarks, logos or brand names can be used in an entry, except for those of the NACC or one of its major sponsors with their approval and sign off.
- An unsuccessful entry previously entered in the competition cannot be entered again in a subsequent year unless altered by 85%.
- An entry that has been shown in another competition prior to entering The ART of FASHION will be accepted.
- The NACC asks that designers do not actively promote their AoF entries publicly or publish images or video footage of their entries during the competition process until after the AoF Awards ceremony.
- All designers agree to accept and abide by the decisions or other rulings made by:
- the judges in relation to the AoF Awards; and/or
- the NACC AoF Committee Chairs in regards to these terms and conditions, Any decision of the judges and/or the NACC will be final and not be open to challenge by the designer.
All Designers must supply, NAME, ADDRESS, CONTACT INFORMATION, and all designers must pay the ENTRY FEE for an Entry to be valid. The Entry will NOT BE FEATURED IN THE EVENT unless the ENTRY FEE is paid. DEADLINE FOR ENTRY IS SEPT 10TH.
Designers can enter online at www.thenacc.org/CirqueCFA or by filling out the Entry Form at the end of this packet.
Each entry must supply the following information regarding their garment:
- a title for the garment (56 characters max);
- a list of the main materials used in creating the garment (40 characters max);
- a short description/inspiration for the garment (100 characters max) to be used in the show program/ screen; and
- a longer description/inspiration for the garment which should be the story behind the garment including the inspiration(s) for the garment and the process and materials used in the construction of the garment.
- The name of the model being used to show this garment or a request for a model, with approximate size and height requirements.
- All entries must be wearable, that is, able to be worn on the human body. Garments must be made to withstand transportation and movement.
- All items the model is required to wear as part of the entry must be supplied by the designer, including footwear and visible undergarments. (Footwear is mandatory)
- If a garment incorporates electrical components the designer must supply batteries.
- There must be a concealed label on the inside of each component (including accessories) which includes the designer name and entry #. The NACC takes no responsibility for garments which have been submitted unlabeled.
- Do not use perishable materials, unless properly treated, including animal products, plant products and food. Components submitted using organic materials that may disintegrate will not be accepted.
- Outfits must be in accordance with New York Indecent Exposure Laws, entries that expose (or does not clothe) the private or intimate parts of the model’s body will be omitted from the event. Pasties permitted.
- Garment Height & Width Restrictions:
- When worn by a model, the garment must be easily able to enter and exit the stage via a 4’ wide, 12 degree ramp.
- (The garment must be less than 12’ in height or length
REGULAR (NON MEMBERS):
$30 first piece+ $10 per additional entry.
NACC MEMBERS & STUDENTS:
$20 first piece+ $10 per additional entry.
To Pay Entry Fee (5 Options):
1.) Via Vendini
Pay Entry Fees online via the Vendini Ticket Portal, purchase a “Designer” Ticket, which will be considered your entry fee. To add on additional pieces, add on however many “Extra Entry” Tickets as you would like. Please note that this method will have processing fees.
2.) In Person
Entry Fees can be paid in person at our main office, located at on the 2nd Floor of the NACC, 1201 Pine Ave, Niagara Falls, NY 14301.
3.) Over the Phone
Just call (716) 282 – 7530 and press 0 to speak to a NACC staff member – Give the staff member your name and the number of pieces you are submitting and they will take care of the rest. Will need your credit card number, exp date, this information is destroyed after processing.
Pay your entry fee over the phone using the PAYPAL APP. Select the option to send money to friends or family, and enter the amount you owe (see entry fees above) and send to LOU@THENACC.ORG.
Fashion Designer Registration:
Fashion Designer Registration
Member & Student :
5.) By Mail
Mail a check to:
Niagara Arts & Cultural Center
C/O Wearable Art Fashion Show
1201 Pine Avenue
Niagara Falls NY 14301
Wearable Art Runway Show Policy
The NACC AoF Committee reserves the right to refuse designs for any reason – specifically designs that do not follow entry guidelines, including but not limited to designs that do not pertain to the event theme and requirements or have been found unfitting of the intent of the event.
Non Discrimination Policy:
The Niagara Arts & Cultural Center is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, eventions, events, programs and activities.
Image Release and Release of Liability:
The Artist agrees to feature Design at the NACC at his/her own risk.
Utmost care will be given to all works received; however, neither the NACC nor its members, sponsors, employees or building owner assume any responsibility for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever.
Please be advised: Design will not be featured without your agreement to these conditions. No refunds will be offered for Designs not featured because this form was not completed correctly. However even without the Release of Liability, the NACC is not responsible for any loss or damage to any submitted work from the time it is delivered to the Niagara Arts & Cultural Center until the time it is retrieved from the Niagara Arts & Cultural Center. The NACC does not offer insurance for Designs for any reason.
The designer grants the NACC a perpetual, irrevocable right to photograph, film or take other footage of their garment for the purpose of featuring or including the garment, anywhere in the world, in:
- advertising, promotional and marketing material of any format including but not limited to print, film and digital; and
- merchandise of any type including but not limited to programs, clothing, posters, images, films and other broadcast and media formats.
- Wherever possible, the NACC will acknowledge the designer in any publication, merchandising and/or promotional material which contains images and/or footage of a designer’s garment.
- The NACC will photograph all entries for inclusion in the AoF Show Program in a standard style, pose and composition that is directed by The NACC.
- The designer grants to THE NACC a worldwide, royalty free, perpetual, transferable license to use any images or media sent to THE NACC (including images, inspirations and stories) for promotional, merchandising, exhibition and/or media purposes, with no cost.
- If a designer provides THE NACC with images owned by a third party, they must seek written confirmation from the owner of the images that the owner consents to the granting of the license by the designer to THE NACC.
General Admission: $30 + processing fees
Members and Students: $20 + processing fees
***PLEASE NOTE – Free admission will only be provided to the Designers, Models, and Volunteers. All others must pay for admission to this event.
Rehearsal Dates and Times TBA.
Please view our parking map for parking information. Loading and unloading of equipment and materials can take place in our YELLOW DOOR parking lot.
Free parking is available all around the NACC building.
- RED DOORS The PUBLIC ENTRANCE to the BUILDING IS LOCATED ON THE PORTAGE ROAD SIDE.
- ALL OTHER DOORS REQUIRE KEY ACCESS.
- DO NOT PARK in the NACC Loading Dock / Handicap Parking Lot, as this space will be used for loading in and out of equipment for the day of the event.
Pine Ave : (Both Sides)
Portage Road: (West Side) between signs
Portage Road -Haeberle Plaza
Walnut Ave : (North Side)
13th Street ( East )
750 Haeberle Ave, Niagara Falls, NY 14301